Monday, May 14, 2007

Wonderful, Terrible Time

It always happens and yes, I am aware that I used the word always. That is because I can't remember a time during these past ____ years of the divorce that within a day or two of something fantastic happening, something horrible happens. At this point in time you would think that I am prepared and aware that something bad is going to take place.

OK, OK, I'll tell you what it is. Bad news first or good news first? I prefer the bad news then I can feel better when I hear the good news.... so here we go... uhh... changed my mind I'll go in chronological order.

Shabbos in Kansas was absolutely a blast!!!! Of course, driving down with no a/c in a minivan wasn't too much fun. Then the brakes started acting up right as we got to my mom's. But ice cream makes everything better. We weren't able to get the car to the shop before Shabbos, but I let it go and decided not to worry about something I had no control over.

Shabbos day was abosutely gorgeous. DB was outside in the a.m and then two of his buddies came over. One lives next door and is his age. He's new the neighborhood and DB and he have hit it off. Shabbos afternoon was a riot. The cousins came over with some friends. You see, my mom's home in Kansas has on open door policy. What that means is that she loves when everyone comes over and everyone (family, friends, friends of family members) knows this and feels welcome. DB and I beat two of his older cousins and their friends at $25,000 Pyramid. Bubbi (my mom) was the mc. Her face got so red from laughing and then all of us couldn't stop laughing. These guys were/are soooooooo competitive and started arguing over every little thing. It was too funny and we were all having a great time.

Then it started to pour and pour so they were stuck until after Shabbos and not a single one of us was upset about it. We played gin, and pool. And yes, my mother's house is a veritable game room.

OH!!! I got my mother's day present on Shabbos. DB brought it to the table during lunch.





Mother's Day was wonderful too. I cleaned the house the whole day. Well, that part wasn't wonderful, but I know my mom appreciated it. Finally, when two of the cousins came early. I got in the shower. Everyone was there. OK, Almost everyone, some cousins drove for over three hours just to be at the barbecue. HOLY MOLY!!! We had tables set up outside and the temp. was perfect with just a light breeze, no mosquitoes or bees or any other kind of bugs (much to DB's disappointment).

The kids were on the play set, in the woods, playing catch, and walking around with dirty faces. You could tell that the food was good; the kids faces were stained all different colors, not to mention their clothes. As a matter of fact I think most of us had at least one stain on a shirt or skirt from those sticky grubby hands. No one wanted to leave. There was no need really. We had a minyan. But when it started getting dark and little eyelids started drooping it was time to go. Then it was clean up time. I fell asleep as soon or maybe even before my head hit the pillow.

I know that I should finish this now, but I'm exhausted. The cleaning, more cleaning, packing, driving, unloading, unpacking and then the not so good stuff has kind of left me just a little tired. I'll try to finish this up tonight... but I'm not promising 'cause I've gotta go shoot some hoops with da' boy.

to be continued..........

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

the note is lovely!! may you 'shep' 'asach' 'nachas'